Hey there ... here's another attempt at a video blog update from me. I'm talking mostly about my flirting contest since there seems to be some renewed interest in the whole thing.
But to add a little meat to the whole idea, here are some flirting tidbits that I borrowed from wikiHow:
- Lower your expectations. Flirting is fun, but only if you don't take it too seriously.
- Look approachable. Relax and smile. Use your body language to give signals that you are the fun person that you are, and to show that you're comfortable and confident.
- Read body language. Does the person look approachable? Do they appear interested in you? From the moment you see someone with whom you might want to flirt, you should read his or her body language. Once you're actually flirting with the person, body language is often the only way to tell if the person is actually interested in you.
- Initiate a conversation with the person you're interested in. If you don't already know them simply make small talk. Perhaps the best way to strike up a conversation is to start with a simple observation which ends with a question: "Nice day, isn't it?" What you say isn't important. You don't really need an answer to the question; you are simply inviting the person to talk with you.
- Gradually share information about yourself in a reciprocal manner. If this small talk goes well, proceed to share a little information about yourself--just something small like what you do for a living or how you liked the show you just saw, for example. The key to sharing information is that you both gradually open up. Take turns talking, and each time the other person gives you some information about himself or herself, give similar information about yourself, and maybe give slightly more personal information than that person gave. You don't want to share too much about yourself too quickly, and you shouldn't try to get the other person to do so either. If you have a naughty website like your’s truly, you might not want to open up with disclosing that information … just sayin’!
- Give the person your complete attention. Laugh at their jokes, listen to their stories, and don't get distracted by what's going on around you. It's more important to seem interested than to seem interesting, and you don't want to hog the conversation. Being a good listener is far more important to successful flirting than being witty.
- Use body language to hint at your romantic intentions. If things are going really well, you might want to try to break the touch barrier. Touch his or her arm briefly and gently as you talk. Touching in this manner helps break a "personal space" barrier. Pay attention to red flags, because some people have "personal space" issues and you don't want to make them uncomfortable. In general, women can get away with touching much earlier in a conversation than men can.
- Close the deal. Most flirting is just harmless fun, and nothing will ever come of it … unless you plan it properly ;-)