April 2, 2012

Sex | Saying A Bit Too Much

Some days, as crazy as it sounds, I think I am really fortunate to have this blog to escape to when my mind turns to wonderfully naughty things. It's a great outlet to share my thoughts on sex, relationships, flirting ... all that good stuff that we enjoy in life. And I kind of get the idea that you all like it too.

If you have been following any of my rambles, you know it's no secret that sex is one my most favourite subjects. I mean, the idea of people enjoying such physical pleasure, the intimacy, the dirty thoughts that cross my mind ... how can you not enjoy it! Plus, these days it seems to be a big focal point in everything that is going on around me ... which is perfectly fine.

So this question kind of fits for today, even if it's not a Formspring Friday.

When it comes to sex, how much do you talk about it with others? How comfortable are you talking about sex?

The truth is, I am probably one of those people that is far too comfortable talking about sex. My husband and I talk about it often ... sometimes in hushed tones due to our parental status. But it is a regular discussion in our house ... and texts ... and my blog.

Which is good, because one of the challenges I have discovered in this adventure of mine is that with the exception of my husband, I can't really say too much about my sexual experiences and adventures. Sex remains one of life's most personal pleasures while remaining one of society's biggest taboos. In one sense, our culture is obsessed with sex - just look at most of the popular advertising campaigns, trashy women's magazines and fashion promotions. On the other side, we're supposed to feel guilty about it - especially women. I can respect that it is a very intimate act, but I understand why people get so incredibly hung up about it. There's far too many mixed messages to sort through.

A lot of what I can share with you on here is not the kind of thing I can share with my coworkers most days. Plus, our workplace has implemented some very rigid policies about what is appropriate and what is not. I'm willing to bet someone would be quick to point that out if the subject came up.

Equally so, it is difficult to tell my girlfriends about what goes on in my bed and mind. There might be one or two who would find what goes on with me kind of intriguing ... but at the same time, you can't predict what other people's sex lives are like. Even the happiest couples could be putting on a very good act. And I don't exactly need a reputation in the neighbourhood.

It's frustrating because I think a lot of people would like to talk about it more, but as I hinted at, our society has turned sex into one of the most "forbidden" topics of conversation. I really believe if we could be more open, less people would have these sexual hang-ups and possibly have better relationships in their life.

Instead we internalize it, and then walk around wondering half the time if we are normal or downright perverted.
Andee     xoxo

1 comment:

R.A. Buckley Writer said...

I'm with you, so few people talk about sex or their sex lives today, it does seem to be a forbidden topic. If we were more open about it maybe it wouldn't be seen in such a negative way. Great work. I also nominated you for a TMI Blog award on my blog, I always enjoy your work!