November 11, 2011

A Day For Remembrance

In honour of what today means to so much of the Western world, I have decided that I’m not going to post my usual Fantasy Friday update. To me it seems just a little disrespectful on a solemn occasion.

Instead I’m just going to share some thoughts that may not mean anything to a lot of you, but every now and then I get pangs of understanding that for the socially unacceptable aspect of what I do for a hobby, at least I have the freedom and voice to defend it.

And please, don’t think of this as a running endorsement of the conflicts that have consumed our current lives. I don’t believe in fabricated wars in pursuit of fictitious weapons of mass destruction or armed conflict in the name of oil as something about “my freedom.” Sorry to say, but in Canada we just have a different philosophy on patriotism and it doesn’t involve the black and white stance of naïve celebrities like Toby Keith.

No, we like to think of ourselves as something a little more complex…or maybe just less blind to trust our recent batch of elected officials.

I realize that outlook is difficult for some to understand. Patriotism can be as fanatical as some religions. But I hope you are equally thankful for being able to disagree with me as much as you are thankful for being free to think for yourself. At the end of the day, for better or worse, you and I still have the ability to take our own stands on subjects – and provided we can defend our beliefs from an educated and factual point of view – we are free to debate them at length, and without government interference.

Many brave men and women died in World Wars One and Two so that people like me (for having an adult website) and you (for enjoying adult websites) could be held up for judgment by the small-minded and religious zealots. They didn’t die to defend my right to broach standard social mores, but rather died so that all of us could live in a democracy and have educated conversations about our choices in lifestyle. Our modern opportunities continue to be a by-product of their sacrifice. And for good or bad, that includes all the naughty stuff we get into.

Generally, I don’t get caught up in political debates and the like. I much prefer the more passionate side of life: sexuality and sensuality. I’m not a very complicated person – or loudly opinionated. But today, whether you agree with me or not, I hope that you will take a moment to remember what November 11 is about. It’s about the war that was supposed to end all wars. Sadly it didn’t.

So today there are no “sexual fantasies” to share, no dirty sexting or blog entries. No, today is just about my wishes – I guess a bit of fantasy when you get right down to it – that for once in our lives we could live without conflict, without judgment, and in harmony as people.

For those who made the ultimate sacrifice, I am sorry that I take my freedom for granted every now and then, but I couldn’t be more thankful for the opportunities I have in my life – even if they may challenge society’s moral standards.

Lest we forget.

1 comment:

miles said...

Well said, and thanks for saying it. We all take too much for granted. Miles