January 17, 2011

OMG | WTF RU TXTING

Some Monday morning thoughts on guys and dating ... still 'recovering' from the weekend ...

So the rumour mill is that, once again, ol’ Taylor Swift got dumped by telephone. I know … wait until her next album and she’ll spill the goods in a song. You’d think the poor girl is the only one out there that has ever endured a bad dumping (and yes, there are some good dumpings …)

At our house we've been talking a lot about different communication styles lately, and how things are so different today in the world. Thankfully (for his own safety) my hubby has said he could never bring himself to hiding behind modern technology to do some of the necessary relationship dirty work. But people are out there hiding behind it, doing everything from being fired by e-mail to wedding proposals by texting!

And seriously, when did 'text' become a verb?

Anyway, it's all been quite enlightening, as I am really a technological nitwit on the best of days. I was forced to own a cell phone - thanks to crashing my car. I use ‘social networking’ because it was strongly recommended as a good way to ‘market’ my website … although I am becoming more of an addicted blogger. I never kept a diary as a young girl because my brother would have used it against me - not that he doesn’t think I’m going to hell now anyway.

And the Internet dating thing? Fill out another online profile?

But I think my lack of experience in the 'Crackberry' world would be an issue if I was out there dating.

On Friday morning, the hosts of my favourite radio morning station were talking about how more than 50 per cent of new couples today met via the Internet. I personally know some couples who have found success that way, but equally so know people whose “online dating” experience turned into disasters.

Of course, nothing that the old fashioned way hasn’t produced … but given how wired we are as a society today (let’s see, 19 seats in my little section of the train car right now, 7 people are on their crackberries, 4 have ipods going, 4 are reading, and one I think is sleeping or dead. Have to wait until we get to the station to figure that out … They must think I‘m the loonie because I‘m the only one typing away madly on a netbook!) Electronic gadgets are everywhere in our lives now.

Here's something I lifted from a cheesy women's magazine about dating in the electronic world ... so just message me if you want! LOL

"When your date opts to e-mail you - rather than call - he could be a hard nut to crack. The fact that he chooses a communication method that allows him to edit what he says signals that he might not want to show his true self," says Jeff Bryson, PhD, professor of psychology at San Diego State University.

An IM addict craves your non-stop attention and needs that instant assurance that you're there for him.

And the phone fan? He might be a little old-fashioned and likes to do things by the book. But, according to the professor, "he's not afraid of intimacy."

Well, that and naughty phone calls in the middle of the night ... or day if it gets real interesting!
Andee
xoxo

No comments: